Food for cancer fighters

Food is something I love, more of a passion actually.  I love cooking, baking, experiment new recipes, enjoy feeding my family & friends and savour the taste.  Having cancer changed me.  This new chapter of my life has changed my eating habit tremendously. I have read books, blogs, watched youtube, listened to different doctors & nurses, other cancer thrivers, here's what I learnt.

One thing to note.  Please eat regularly, do not skip meals.  Remember, you need lots of energy to fight!

Sugar is off-limits
Sugar feeds cancer.  One of the way to fight this is to starve cancer cells and the best is to cut sugar off completely.  Some say it can be substituted with honey, but it is debatable as honey is high in enzyme and natural sugar.  It is great for cancer prevention but once cancer has surfaced, avoid honey at all cost.

Meat is a no-no
Cancer thrives in acidic environment and meat is acidic.  It is important to avoid meat of all kinds - beef, lamb, chicken - forever.  I have never been a big meat eater but honestly, when I found out I need to avoid them, it was hard, emotionally.  It became hard for me to plan my meals.  But you know the best about us human being?  We can adapt.  And it has become part of me, a non-meat eater.

Vegetables
Vegetables are your friends!  These are the food you need to take in abundance.  The best is to enjoy them in all variety of colours.  Of course eaten raw is best, but you will need varieties in life - so experiment ways of preparing them - raw, steamed, boiled, sautéed, baked, grilled.

Staples
Go for Brown Rice instead of white rice. Wholemeal flour instead of white flour.

Fresh Fruits
Enjoy lots of fresh fruits, these are where you can get all the sweetness from.  Berries are wonderful, papaya, pineapple (keep the middle part).

Fish
Go for deep sea fishes with scales.

Dried Fruits & Nuts
Dates, figs, pistachio, almonds, apricot seed

Supplements
Avoid taking all kinds of supplements that people around you claim can cure cancer.  Chances are, they will feed cancer instead.  Curcumin with black pepper is fantastic.  Magnesium, COQ10, Vitamin C.

I'll share some recipes in other blogs :-)



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hospitalized in ICU

Getting better after ICU episode

New treatment - Lymphangitis Carcinomatosis